Dell Dimension 3000 – remove hard drive

**Precursor: My MonoRail posts will continue soon, but I’m moving my office and have also had the “tech support” calls from friends and family lately, hence the OS, hardware posts.  We all have to do this stuff at sometime, right?  The services and CC.NET posts were because I’m managing our web server.

My next door neighbor’s computer crashed.  As as we all know, if you are in the industry, you are a tech support person by default.

This post is for anyone googling about how to remove a hard drive from the Dell Dimension 3000:

image

I googled and found nothing.  I resorted to the online documentation and Dell actually had it there.  A hard drive is a hard drive, but when you open this case you can see the 4 screws you need to remove and also the power button cord you need to disconnect from the motherboard and it still won’t remove the bay, you start to wonder.  What you don’t see is something I would have never guessed or found if I had not looked at the manual:

image

Notice the screw on the bottom?  That was why I couldn’t remove the bay.  Maybe this is my first hard drive bay like this, but it was interesting.

About Jason Meridth

Continuously learning software developer trying to not let best be the enemy of better
This entry was posted in Hardware. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

15 Responses to Dell Dimension 3000 – remove hard drive

Next time use a blow torch!

2. I was just fixing a friends dell last week that was this model. After 10 minutes of cursing and trying to force the drive bay out, I took a closer look with the following ah-hah =)

3. i feel your pain

4. Eugene says:

Hi, my dell dimension 3000 is dying. Wondering if anyone know which is the best dell desktop for normal small office use?

5. Nate says:

I am working on a computer for a customer, and the ‘+’ on the bottom screw is completely rusted in, and I currently don’t have a wrench with me. Scary huh?

6. Mike says:

This tip saved me some head scratching for a bit. Thank you.

7. @Mike
    Glad it helped.

It’s stuff like this that reminds me that blogging is worth it.

8. Dave says:

God bless you! You were the only Google result I found and you provided me with the CRUCIAL missing link (er, screw). I was just about to get out the hammer! Thank you.

9. Random says:

Hi, before i even buy a new hdd for my stupid xp, how du you remove the wire from the power button. Wanna make sure b4 i barek it like i did to my 98 and had to use a pen to turn it on. =p

10. kayfuem says:

Hey i have this laptop and i m wondering how to upgrade it, to be fast and other staff, can you show me the RAM and other parts that would make my comp go fast
    Thanks alot.

11. Mike says:

Anyone had a Dell Dimension 3000 Boot CD. I have a Dimension 3000 with a dead hard drive so i was wondering if anyone had the boot cd so i could reinstall my pc to factory settings on my new hdd.

12. @Mike

Sorry bro. I don’t have one to give.

13. junaid says:

you dont need a boot cd for this computer , when the computer starts on the first loading screen where it says press f12 for boot menu and f2 for something else , press left ctrl and f11 (both buttons at the same time) and it will let you format the computer and it has windows xp software built so you install that aswell you can upgrade to vista later if you wish.
    hope that helps

14. Pratik21s says:

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop.I want to know what HD should I upgrade to, since the one I have installed is full of space.The HD I that is in the PC is called WDC 400BB-00DEA0.And also how can I remove unwanted programs I don’t want to have on PC.

15. Anonymous says:

My 2005 Dell Dimension 3000 80 gig hard drive (original equip) is going bad and needs replacing. I had the OS system restore CD sent to me by Dell and bought a 500 Gig hard drive. I put the new drive in and hit F12 to boot from the CD and nothing happened. A friend said the PC bios may not be able to “see” the new drive. What drive is compatible with this PC? I know it’s old, but it still suits my needs.