Agile Project Management Reading List
Here is a list of the top 30 Agile Project Management books to read compiled by Jim Highsmith. I have read a majority of these books and found them to be invaluable in my development as an agile practitioner. These are a must read for anyone seriously taking on enterprise level agile development.
Jim Highsmith’s List
1. Anderson, David J. Agile Management for Software Engineering.
2. Augustine, Sanjiv. Managing Agile Projects
3. Austin, Robert, and Lee Devin. Artful Making .
4. Avery, Christopher. Teamwork Is an Individual Skill .
5. Bennis, Warren. On Becoming a Leader .
6. Berkun, Scott. The Art of Project Management .
7. Boehm, Barry, and Richard Turner. Balancing Agility and Discipline: A Guide for the Perplexed .
8. Buckingham, Markus, and Curt Coffman. First, Break All The Rules .
9. Cockburn, Alistair. Crystal Clear .
10. Cohn, Mike. Agile Estimating and Planning .
11. Collins, Jim. Good to Great .
12. Cunningham, Ward, and Rick Mugridge. FIT for Developing Software .
13. DeMarco, Tom, and Timothy Lister. Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams .
14. DeMarco, Tom, and Timothy Lister. Waltzing with Bears .
15. Derby, Esther, and Diana Larsen. Agile Retrospectives .
16. Haeckel, Stephan. Adaptive Enterprise .
17. Highsmith, Jim. Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products .
18. Johnson, George. Fire in the Mind .
19. Kennedy, Michael N. Product Development for the Lean Enterprise .
20. Larman, Craig. Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager’s Guide .
21. Laufer, Alexander. Simultaneous Management .
22. Leffingwell, Dean. Scaling Software Agility (due out in March 2007).
23. Lencioni, Patrick. Five Dysfunctions of a Team .
24. McConnell, Steve. Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules .
25. Poppendieck, Mary and Tom. Implementing Lean Software Development .
26. Reinertsen, Donald G. Managing the Design Factory .
27. Smith, Preston G., and Donald G. Reinertsen. Developing Products in Half the Time: New Rules, New Tools .
28. Tabaka, Jean. Collaboration Explained .
29. Weinberg, Gerald M. Quality Software Management .
30. Wysocki, Robert K. Effective Project Management .